Bring New Life to Your Home with TileWhen it comes to home decorating, tile is typically thought of as a material for bathrooms and kitchens. However, there are many ways to use tile to give your home a new look. If you want to update a room, create a unique focal point, or add value to your home, consider using tile in the following areas:
- Fireplace Surrounds - A tile inset around your fireplace, or even tile on the wall around and above the fireplace, can add warmth and interest to your living room or family room. Because tile is so versatile, you can find a style that works with either a modern or a more traditional fireplace.
- Accent Walls - One of the latest trends in home design is creating an accent wall with tile. Accent walls can be used in living rooms, bathrooms, and even bedrooms. Choose colors that blend with your home’s existing decor. Textured tile can add even more interest your room’s accent wall.
- Hallways - You can use tile to add a more formal feel to a hallway. Try a diagonal pattern to create an illusion of space or rectangular tiles to make the area look wider.
- Entry Ways - A foyer may seem like a small part of your home, but it can actually have a great impact on your home’s value. This is the ideal place to try a medallion design in natural earth tones. Tile in an entryway can also be easily cleaned from damp shoes and dirt tracked in from the outside, serving as a great segway to carpeted floors.
- Mosaic Tiles - Light reflecting tiles made of copper or stainless steel are showing up in kitchen backsplashes to compliment modern stainless steel appliances. Mosaic tile can also be used to create a solid-color backdrop that is classic enough to work with changing decor. Pebble and natural stone mosaics create a nature-inspired look on walls and floors.
- Geometric Tiles - Geometric tiles go beyond the standard square and can be used as part of more elaborate designs. One of the most popular shapes today is hexagon tiles. Geometric tiles on the floor are a great way to add pattern to a room without a large area rug.
- Rectangular Tiles - Traditional 3x6 rectangular “subway” tile are still very much in favor but lots of other sizes have emerged and are having great success. 6x24, 6x36 and the even more popular 12x24 tiles can give any room a modern look and are being used on floors, shower and walls. Try them in a bathroom today for the luxury-spa feel.